It’s our first Christmas in our San Diego home this year!
We had some holiday supplies back in Cape Town, but had to leave them in storage when we moved…thus we’re starting from scratch — both in gathering our holiday arsenal and establishing new traditions.
Are you also decorating for the first time or wanting some beginner tips for holiday decor?
So far, here are my go-to tips:
- Candles, diffusers, and scents can really set the mood and are a fantastic option if you’ve opted for a faux Christmas tree
- Pick a color scheme you like, —whether that’s red and green, more creamy neutrals with pops of gold, or pastels. Keeping it in these hues will help everything be more cohesive.
- Find pieces that are meaningful to you and are timeless so you don’t have to buy new things every year
- Bring the outdoors inside with touches of natural elements (like pinecones, birch branches, or long branches of pine)
- Festive lights (and ones on branches) go a long way if you’re stuck and don’t know what’s “missing”
- As you’re building up your treasure trove of holiday decor, don’t feel like you need to buy everything at once (after Christmas sales can have some great deals to get pieces for the following year!)
So, with all that in mind — here are my top picks for holiday decor!
For the Front Porch
I love a wreath year-round and wanted something made from real plants but that would—so I went with this eucalyptus one! It smells amazing and you could add some ribbon to give it more of a holiday feel. Snag the adjustable (and customizable) door wreath hanger here!Shop Now
Here are a few more holiday wreaths I love:
Here are a few other doormats I love:
Want some more holiday inspo for the front porch?
While this post is geared toward cozy fall décor (we’re talking autumnal hues of muted reds and yellows, along with a plethora of pumpkins) you could definitely swap in some poinsettias and mini spruce or pine trees for a festive touch!
Holiday Living Room Decor
For the Tree
Here’s an assortment of other cute tree skirts and collars:
Here are some of my favorite ornaments:
Here are some of my favorite garlands for the tree:
For the Mantel
Here are some other garlands I was peepin’ at:
For me, the way to complete the mantel was adding a few sprays of greenery and vases, and a nutcracker or two!
I also love the idea of incorporating pillar candles (flameless is the safer bet!), along with these sweet little homes pieces that look fantastic with some lights inside.
All Things Cozy
As we have a faux tree, we don’t have that fresh pine scent in the house. To combat that, bringing in the fresh scents and the lovely holiday aromas via candles, wax melts, or scents in a diffuser.
Holiday Kitchen Decor + Goodies
Holiday Dining Room Decor
I absolutely love this one by Gathre — they’re essentially tablecloths for people that hate the look of usual tablecloths. It’s a total essential for the holidays as they’re made of bonded leather, so they look super chic while being extremely functional. (We prepped our Halloween pumpkins on this and it was a breeze to clean up!)Shop Now
Do you have any favorites when it comes to holiday décor or traditions you’d like to share? I’d love to hear all about them in the comments below!